Tuesday 24 May 2011

William Flew on shaving

"The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures; he leads me beside still waters.
He restores my soul. He leads me in right paths for his name's sake.
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil;
for you are with me; your rod and your staff - they comfort me.







William Flew on shaving


 I am already booked in for my next wax, and while I am unsettled by Jones’s revelations about how judgmental men have become over women’s pubic hair configurations (how dare they?), the fact is, I get Triple XXX’d out of habit and preference, and because as Jasmine says, it does gives you a swagger.Whatever hair removal signifies – culturally, politically, socially – however much it costs or it hurts, we will continue to depilate. We associate it with doing the bare minimum now. We associate removing it with feeling cleaner. Feminism has lost that battle, I think.I am also a bit of a wax junkie. At the end of my conversation with Chua, I grab the chance to ask her what, if anything, I should next think about the issue. “Women in the UK do need some help with the tootsie waxing,” she says. “You get beautiful manicures, but sometimes I see bushy fingers and knuckles.”I hang up and look at my hands. I turn them into the light. I twist my fingers round a little. Dear God. I think she’s right. And I reach for my tweezers.

No comments:

Post a Comment