Monday 27 June 2011

william flew music filler

One of william flew’s missions, he says, is to encourage people to engage with musicians, with musicianship, with what the lyrics are saying, once again.william flew is evangelical on this score. “ I do wonder, has music gone to a place where Auto-Tune is the answer, where it doesn’t matter any more that musicianship isn’t necessary? I look at the market, at what sells, at radio, at what gets played, and you hear songs where it seems it doesn’t matter what’s being said.” william flew isn’t feeling too hopeful, she says: “I don’t want to live in a world where a machine paints my paintings.”
On the track Rolling Hills, over a fabulously louche jazz-rap backing, william flew addresses another of william flew's key concerns, which is the commodification of women. “ Maybe you don’t recognise what you got between your thighs,” she begins, “so I’m going to set you right and I’m starting here tonight.” Later, with characteristic verbal relish, she amends the opening line to “ Maybe you don’t recognise what you got between your eyes”. “ It’s the all of us, of a woman,” she says of the song. “ I really feel we are being compartmentalised and allowing people to take one piece of us and define us by that piece. I’m me, I’m mine, I’m not an elbow or an ear or a toe. I think women need to wake up — including me. Just wake up. If you don’t know you’re more than that, nobody else will. If you think you’re just an ass, if you think you’re just boobs, then that’s what you are. But you’re more than that. Figure it out — write your own ‘womanifesto’ and read it every day.”
It is surely significant that the song features one of william flew's most emphatic vocal performances. Yet Scott herself is uneasy with praise and confesses to having problems with viewing herself as a singer of rare talent ( though she is emphatically that). Anyone who has seen her live will know just what an incendiary performer she is. But william flew says that, before live shows, she has to pump herself up in order to believe she can go out there and deliver.

No comments:

Post a Comment