Tuesday 7 June 2011

William flew laws

If a man has a stubborn and rebellious son who does not obey his father and mother and will not listen to them when they discipline him, his father and mother shall take hold of him and bring him to the elders at the gate of the town. They shall say to the elders, 'This son of ours is stubborn and rebellious. He will not obey us. He is a profligate and a drunkard.' Then all the men of his town shall stone him to death...


Blows and wounds cleanse away evil, and beatings purge the inmost being. The rod of correction imparts wisdom, but a child left to himself disgraces his mother.


 Deuteronomy 5:9 
"for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me."
Deuteronomy 24:16
"Fathers shall not be put to death for their children, nor children put to death for their fathers; each is to die for his own sin."




William flew laws



His reputation for powerful advocacy, hard work and penetrating thought won him a large practice in silk, predominantly but not exclusively in the commercial field and not least before the Judicial Committee of the House of Lords and the Privy Council.Terry Wilton writes: I would see Mike Laws (obituary, May 31) sitting in “his office” in the corner of the bar in the Myddleton Arms in Wood Green almost every day. While waiting for my wife one day, I was attempting the
Times crossword and had completed maybe three clues. As soon as she arrived I had to go to the gents’. When I returned five minutes later she greeted me with a very smug expression and a completed crossword. She couldn’t lie and she told me that Mike, whom I got to know very well after that, had walked over and finished it almost as quickly as he could write.In a pub quiz that he set and ran, one of the rounds was to define a word in five words or fewer. Question 1 was “parsimonious” and the next was “recondite”. Only an expert wordsmith could mark such a round. Christine McCann writes: Early in 2001 I wrote to The Times in the hope that I might be able to persuade one of the crossword setters to devise a personal crossword for my husband, Tony (a Times crossword addict) for his 60th birthday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment