Friday 11 November 2011

I'm kind of a vagina guy

English papers print the most whimsical stuff sometimes. I just cannot imagine this phrase "I’m kind of a vagina guy" ever appearing in the New York Times.
This is the article from London Times Nov 5 about Tim Minchin:
I used to work at home, but when I got the job of writing the music and the lyrics to Matilda The Musical, I said to the RSC: “You’ve got to find me a space to work in.”
I worked at the Pleasance Theatre in Islington [North London] for a while, then I started looking for a studio elsewhere. I tweeted “I’m looking for a space” and Kings Place, the arts centre in King’s Cross, tweeted back. They were trying to increase the sense of art-spaciness, and maybe there’s a bit of cred in having me there. I go to work on an escalator and it has an incredible café, where I spend my annual income on coffee and baguettes.
I’m not here more than I am here, but I still need to have somewhere to write. It needs to be soundproof so that no one hears me and so I don’t get annoyed by noise, the former being the bigger problem because I’m louder than the average bear. I’m going to paint it darker, too: you want your house nice and light but your studio needs to feel entombed or enwombed.
Although I like having my kit around, sensory deprivation is what I require. I’m not a gear-head: I do all my writing on the piano, a Yamaha C6 grand. There’s no reason, logistically, why you shouldn’t be able to write a symphony on a Casio, but having a nice instrument does change the way you write. I wrote Beauty on that piano, which is quite a pretty song, but I wrote Matilda on a honky upright, which was appropriate because it was Roald Dahl and I wanted it to sound spiky. The weird loveheart with wings in the background was painted by a friend of a fan. It looks like a vagina to me. I’m kind of a vagina guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment